Acute renal failure following ingestion of manganese-containing fertilizer

Wen Hung Huang, Ja Liang Lin*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalJournal Article peer-review

15 Scopus citations

Abstract

Fertilizers are used to promote the survival and growth of plants and crops and have a good safety record when used properly. The basic elements in fertilizer include phosphorus, nitrite, and potassium. In addition, there are additive agents that vary for different crops and which may include some metals. Acute intoxication by ingesting fertilizer includes damage to various organ systems as well as severe cardiovascular or respiratory distress. We report the case of a 64-year-old man who ingested about 700 mL of fertilizer and suffered acute renal failure, hyperkalemia, and mild methemoglobinemia. After supportive care and emergent hemodialysis for hemodynamic instability due to hyperkalemia, the renal function of the patient recovered in four days.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)305-307
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of Toxicology - Clinical Toxicology
Volume42
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - 2004

Keywords

  • Acute manganese poisoning
  • Acute renal failure
  • Fertilizer

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Acute renal failure following ingestion of manganese-containing fertilizer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this