Is It Beneficial to Optimize Vital Signs Before Embolization for Pelvic Fractures? A Dilemma Between Resuscitation and Hemostasis

Ling Wei Kuo, Chen Yu Wang, Chien An Liao, Yu Tung Wu, Chien Hung Liao, Chi Hsun Hsieh, Chih Yuan Fu*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalJournal Article peer-review


Purpose: Adequate resuscitation and definitive hemostasis are both important in the management of hemorrhage related to pelvic fracture. The goal of this study was to analyze the relationship between the amount of blood transfused before transcatheter arterial embolization (TAE) and the clinical outcome later in the disease course. Methods: Patients with pelvic fractures who underwent TAE for hemostasis from January 2018 to December 2019 were studied. The characteristics of patients who received blood transfusions of >2 U (1000 mL) and ≤2 U before TAE were compared. The mortality rate, blood transfusion-related complications, and length of stay were compared between these two groups. Results: Among the 75 studied patients, 39 (52.0%) received blood transfusions of ≤2 U before TAE, and the other 36 (48.0%) patients received blood transfusions of >2 U before TAE. The incidence rates of systemic inflammatory response syndrome, sepsis, and coagulopathy were significantly higher in the >2 U group (97.2% vs 81.1%, P =.027; 50.0% vs 27.0%, P =.045; and 44.4% vs 5.4%, P <.01, respectively). After nonsurvivors were excluded, the >2 U group had a significantly higher proportion (43.8% vs 14.7%, P <.001) of prolonged intensive care unit (ICU) length of stay (7 days or more) and a longer hospital length of stay (33.8 ± 15.1 vs 21.9 ± 94.0, P <.01) than the ≤2 U group. Pre-TAE blood transfusion >2 U serves as an independent risk factor for prolonged ICU length of stay and increased hospital length of stay. Conclusion: Early hemostasis for pelvic fracture-related hemorrhage is suggested to prevent pre-TAE blood transfusion-associated adverse effects of blood transfusion.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1566-1573
Number of pages8
JournalAmerican Surgeon
Issue number5
StatePublished - 05 2023

Bibliographical note

Publisher Copyright:
© The Author(s) 2022.


  • blood transfusion
  • length of stay
  • pelvic fracture
  • transcatheter arterial embolization


Dive into the research topics of 'Is It Beneficial to Optimize Vital Signs Before Embolization for Pelvic Fractures? A Dilemma Between Resuscitation and Hemostasis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this