Resection and mucosal proctectomy with coloanal anastomosis for radiation-damaged rectum

K. C. Hsu*, J. Y. Wang, C. R.C. Chien, J. S. Chen, R. Tang, Y. T. You, J. M. Chiang

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalJournal Article peer-review


Later radiation injuries occur in 2% to 17% of patients receiving pelvic irradiation, with the rectum the most commonly injured part of the gut. Proctitis, ulceration, stricture and fistula formation are among the most common injuries. If symptoms can not be resolved by medical management, surgery may be helpful. Indications for surgery include rectal fistulas, persistent proctitis, rectal strictures and malignant tumor in the rectum. The current study reviewed 15 patients who underwent resection, mucosal proctectomy and coloanal anastomosis at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital between 1984-1993. There were 10 patients with rectal fistula, 3 with rectal stricture, 1 with severe rectal bleeding with anemia, and 1 with radiation proctitis and rectal cancer. There was no perioperative mortality. Success rate for gastrointestinal continuity was 53%. Among eight patients with successful restoration of continuity, six received two-stage operations and two, three-stage. The remaining seven patients (47%) still required a diverting colostomy because of recurrent fistula or stenotic anastomosis. Although diversion is a safer and quicker procedure, a rectosigmoidectomy plus mucosal proctectomy with coloanal sleeve anastomosis provides a fair opportunity for restoration of intestinal continuity.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2679-2685
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Surgical Association Republic of China
Issue number6
StatePublished - 1994
Externally publishedYes


  • coloanal anastomosis
  • irradiation rectal injury
  • rectal stricture
  • rectovaginal fistula


Dive into the research topics of 'Resection and mucosal proctectomy with coloanal anastomosis for radiation-damaged rectum'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this